Sports Quiz- I
Posted by Sports Snob on August 1, 2006
Welcome to the first Sports Quiz on this page. I hope you have fun. Give it a shot and leave the answers in the comments section!
Score 1 point for each:
1. Every year during Wimbledon, Hamish is brought thrice a week to the grounds. His role is as important as that of the ground staff and technicians. What is Hamish’s role?
The Hawk that is used to get rid of all the pigeons. Doesn’t kill them! just drives them away.
2. Who had the honour of scoring the 2000th goal scored in all World Cups in the recently concluded edition in Germany.
Marcus Allback of Sweden
3. Named after the American Inventor Thomas Edison, he was originally given the nickname Dico by his family. Identify this Brazilian superstar! Who?
Pele (born Edson Arantes Do Nascimento)
4. During a match in the English County Championship, wicketkeeper Chris Scott dropped a sitter, he solemnly observed “”I suppose he’ll get a hundred now.” The lucky batsman did and went on to score a mammoth score. Who?
Brian Lara- went on to make 501, the highest first class score till date.
1. Who about what? ( a bit of editing)
Whenever I was in the field, no one really knew I was doing it except one or two friends. When I did my second Test at Edgbaston, in 1985, someone had written in to dear old Brian Johnston ( a commentator)
“I did my little “thing” and there was a titter in the crowd. I thought there must be a streaker on the field but it was Brian telling the world – and the spectators were listening on their radios. I’ve been lumbered with it ever since.”
2. x was drafted by the chicago bulls in 1984. he however did not play for them . In the same year, though x didnt play football, he was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. He declined the offer stating that his future lied elsewhere. He is a well known personality and a staunch christian. He has often slated professional athletes who use performance enhancing drugs.the irony is that X himself declared in 2003 that he was guilty of failing a drugs test in his heyday. and that X’s home federation had condoned his lapse , saying that x didnt use performance enhacers and that the drugs injested were inadvertant.
Carl Lewis (thanks V!)
3. Complete this list:
______________, Ai Sugiyama, Elena Likhotseva, Mary Pierce, Daniela Hantuchova and ___________.
Rika Hiraki and Martina Hingis- Bhupathi’s mixed doubles grandslam winning partners.
4. We all remember Rene Higuita’s scorpion kick against England at Wembley in 1995. To get 2 points, you will need to name the guy whose shot he saved!
See the save here
5. What is the contribution of Christina Willes to cricket. Super easy actually.
Over-arm bowling. Till then all bowling was under arm but unfortunately her skirt kept getting in the way when she tried to bowl.
6. Who was the chairman of Real Madrid between 1943 and 1978. Infact he died during the 1978 World Cup and FiFA declared 3 days of mourning in his honour.
1. (these are real names)
In November 2002, Stade Olympique l’Emyrne were held to a 2-2 draw by Domoina Soavina Atsimondrano (DSA) after the referee awardin g a very disputed penalty to DSA.
This meant that Stade Olympique l’Emyrne had failed to retain their title, this led to a very unique protest in their next game against (champions) AS Adema. This protest was orchestrated by their coach Ratsimandresy Ratsarazaka from the stands. What happened?
To protest the decision, Stade Olympique l’Emyrne went on a own-goal scoring spree and ended up scoring 149 own goals. They lost the game 0-149! A record that’ll probably never be broken.
Jim Laker, Srinivas Venkatraghavan, Geoff Dymock, Abdul Qadir, Waqar Younis and Muttiah Muralitharan.
Sunil Valson (the only player from the 1983 Indian WC winning team who didn’t get to play a single game)