Hope you enjoy this:
1. Who is the only Englishman to have won two Champions league titles? ( I don’t mean the European Cup- only Champions league)
Steve Mcmanaman (Real Madrid)
2. The two goal scorers for England in the 1966 final both came from the same club. Which one? (More clues? Prominently appears in a Jeffrey Archer book!)
West Ham United
3. Identify this player and complete this list. –
Watford (Trainee-89)- Liverpool (92-99)- Aston Villa- West Ham United- Manchester City- _______________
David James and Portsmouth
4. Who is the only Englishman on FIFA’s All Star team for the 2006 World Cup?
5. Where will this year’s Champions league final be held?
1. Footballers are known to be greedy mercenaries (some of them anyway) And then at times chaps like this guy come along: Having suffered a serious injury, he offered his employers (who were severely cash strapped) to sign him at the top-flight pro’s minimum wage amound of $1500 a month during the 2005 season. He even trained with the youth team during his rehabilation period. He came back and made the first team towards the end of the 2005 season. Who?
Damiano Tomassi (Roma)
2. Born in Chingford, England, X had spells with both Milwall and Tottenham. X has also had trials at Bournemouth and Ipswich Town where he won an FA Youth Cup medal as a substitute in 2005. He is now currently playing with Crystal Palace in The Championship and he hopes to impress over the coming season. All of 18, a lot of things are expected from X, his father is a very successful footballer himself and still continues to score goals in the top flight. Identify this
3. Born in Morocco, he started his career at USM Casablanca. At the next World Cup, his national team were expected to fare so poorly that all of 200 fans had followed them to the host country. At the team’s final training session, one of his boot’s split open, the team didn’t have a sponsor and he didn’t have an extra pair. He eventually borrowed a pair from one of his teammates, and then went on a scoring spree. Who?
Jus Fontaine (13 goals in the 1958 World Cup)
4. Complete this list : Michel Preud’homme, __________ Oliver Kahn, Gianluigi Buffon ( and don’t Google!)
Fabien Barthez (1998)
5. What is so unique about Cardiff winning the 1927 English FA Cup? A feat which is unlikely to ever be repeated.
Cardiff is a city in Wales.
6. Identify the event: the biggest reason for the Sun selling only 12,000 copies on an average in an English city.
7. Only case of son replacing the father in an international match when the son came on as a substitute in a friendly replacing his dad. The Father was just 17 when the son was born!
Father: played for Anderlecht
Son: Started with PSV Eindhoven in 1994. Who?
Eidur Gudjohnsen and his father
1. Little known fact: In 1974, FIFA actually awarded the 1986 World Cup to Colombia, but a number of infrastructure and logistical problems meant that by 1983, FIFA was looking for a new host for the 1986 World Cup. Brazil, United States, Mexico and Canada put in bids to host the World Cup.
Now, the leader of the U.S. bid X was trying his level best to revive the sport in the country, he was vocally supported by both Pele and Franz Beckenbauer in trying to bring the cup to the U.S. , but FIFA decided to award the rights to Mexico instead. It is said that Havelange wanted to teach U.S a lesson because the U.S football association had changed the offside line and also used shoot outs to decide drawn matches. Now, for 3 points tell me who led the U.S. bid – X?
2. 1950 FA Cup Semi-Final – Arsenal Vs Chelsea
Chelsea are up 2-1 and with seconds to go, Arsenal win a corner. X takes the corner and his brother scores the equalizer. Arsenal wins the reply 1-0 and go on to beat Liverpool in the final 2-0. X’s football career was cut short by a knee injury.
X, however was known for his exploits in another sport and also as the brand ambassador for a particular product. After retirement X became a journalist and a commentator for BBC.
Dennis Compton ( and his brother Leslie Compton)